Nyesom Wike, the Incumbent Governor of Rivers State, spoke concerning the recent crises happening in the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP), comes 2023 election.
In recent months, the Rivers State Governor’s camp has called for the resignation of the party’s National Chairman, Iyorchia Ayu.
Ayu, on the other hand, in response to calls to resign, claimed that he was elected to lead the party for four years, therefore justifying his continued tenure.
Governor Wike’s campaign has withdrawn from the main opposition party’s presidential campaign as a result of this development.
In an interview that aired on Channels TV on Friday, Wike addressed several crucial remarks on the turmoil that is upending the party.
Here are ten important points from Wike’s statement on Friday.
1. The Peoples Democratic Party was meant to have zoned its presidential ticket to the South, and the problem was supposed to have begun when the party abandoned zoning.
2. Despite Atiku’s win, Ayu failed to keep his commitment to quit if a Northern presidential contender arose.
3. Ayu’s activities jeopardized and harmed the PDP’s presidential primary, which saw Atiku win the party’s nomination.
He said, “It would have ended in crisis if not for the love I have for the PDP.”
4. By holding several meetings in the homes of former generals, Ayu utilized intimidation and misused his position. According to Wike, the meetings were held “to make sure that I did not win the party’s nomination as its flag bearer. If I were to win the party’s nomination, he even threatened to quit.
5. Atiku Abubakar, the PDP’s presidential candidate, lacks integrity. He is untrustworthy. Wike claimed: “He promised to see me following his appearance and that Ayu would retire, but he failed to keep his word. We were astonished when he attended a party and raised constitutional concerns after meeting us there as well.”
6. PDP requires reorganization because it is haughty. “A party that is in the opposition and serious about winning an election cannot be as arrogant as the PDP,” the governor argued. Nigerians increasingly question the PDP’s ability to unify the nation if it cannot reform itself to address the party’s marginalization.”
7. People of little political value surround Atiku. “Those requesting the party to expel me, particularly Yobe State Waziri, lack electoral ideals. PDP has not prevailed in Yobe since 1999.”
8. PDP would never censure me, much less suspend me. “I challenge the party to punish me. They should take action. Who will I be punished by? I cannot be sanctioned by those who quit the party. They are aware of my options if they do it.”
9. No support for Atiku unless the demand is satisfied. “If the party ultimately rejects our proposal, we will reconvene to discuss our future electoral strategy. Have you not witnessed instances when a local senate candidate lost while the local governorship candidate from the same party won?”
10. Ayu’s continued employment at the workplace is not justified in any way. By stepping down, Ayu may show his devotion for the PDP. The NEC may decide in a meeting and then change its mind in a convention after the election.
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to share and subscribe!
Leave a Reply