The 46th National Convention of the Nigerian Medical Laboratory Science Students’ Association (NIMELSSA) was hosted by the University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus, under the leadership of Rt. Hon. Marvelous Asika on the 25th–29th of January 2023.
The event kicked off with an exciting symposium themed, “From Students to Global Professionals: Exploring the Biomedical Horizon.” With about 24 universities across Nigeria and representatives from Ghana, it was the biggest NIMELSSA Convention yet.
The keynote address was presented by Prof. Akyala Ishaku, who emphasized the need for personal and capacity developments to fit global medical laboratory needs.
The dignitaries and keynote speakers addressed the progeny of medical laboratory science on the importance and roles of medical laboratory scientists in the hospital and aspects of human life, which is the sole aim.
The high point of the symposium was the maiden national ideaathon pitch contest, with seven qualified participants. The Ideathon featured four categories: the research abstract, business/entrepreneurship, social impact, and technology/innovation.
The contestants were:
1. Famous Chukwemeka: Research
2. Chinweoke Ejimofor: Technology and Innovation
3. Confidence Ubani: Social Impact
4. Divine Uchechukwu: Social Impact
5. Daniel Terver, research extract
6. Uduakobong Okon: technology or innovation.
7. Mark Odachi: Business/Entrepreneurship
The pitch contest was judged on the basis of topics, content, dress, and presentation. The winner of the contest was Uduakobong Okon, with the second, third, and fourth places going to Confidence Ubani, Mark Udachi, and Divine Uchechukwu, respectively.
In attendance were the following dignitaries:
• Deputy Vice Chancellor, UNEC – Prof. Edith Nwosu (Mother of the Day) represented by Dr. Udoh
• HOD, Medical Laboratory Sciences, UNEC – Prof. Silas A. Ufelle (Host).
• Assoc. Professor of Microbiology, Nasarawa State University – Dr. Akyala Ishaku (Keynote Speaker).
• AMLSN National President – Prof. James Damen (Principal Guest of Honour)
• AMLSN National VP I – Prof. Marian Unachukwu (Distinguished Guest of Honour)
• AMLSN National Publicity Secretary – Dr. Billyrose Olusoji (Distinguished Guest of Honour)
• CEO, Lahor Research Labs and Medical Centre – Prof. Dennis E. Agbonlahor (Father of the Day)
• SA on Students Affairs to Enugu State Governor – Hon. Chidi Ilogebe (Special Guest of Honour)
• CEO, McChuks Diagnostic Center – Dr. Ihionu McChuks
(Chairman of the Occasion)
• Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences and Technology, UNEC – Prof. Charles U. Eze (Chief Host)
• Chairman, AMLSN Enugu State – Dr. Brendan M. Ejiofor (Guest of Honour)
• Chairman, AMLSN ESUTH Chapter – Mrs. Nnadi Kate (Guest of Honour)
• Chairman, AMLSN UNTH Chapter – Mr. Theophilus Mba (Guest of Honour)
• Former Chairman, AMLSN UNTH Chapter – Mr. Amaechi Mba (Guest of Honour)
• CEO, Abims Fertility – Wojuade Kehinde Samuel (Guest of Honour)
• Principal MLS, Education Department, MLSCN – Dr. Samuel Fasogbon (Guest of Honour)
• YMLSF National President – MLS Emmanuel Khoda Nkumah (Guest of Honour)
• YMLSF Vice President South-East – MLS Chibueze Obi-George (Guest of Honour)
• Lead Faculty, Spegdel Resources – MLS Elvis Umez (Guest of Honour)
• Intern MLS, UPTH – MLS Emmanuel Anya-Awa.
Edited by Uduakobong Sylvanus
Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to share and subscribe!